Jan 14, 2018
0 0

Cherries shock Arsenal


Bournemouth were able to come from a goal down to beat Arsenal 2-1 in their Premier League clash at the Vitality Stadium on Sunday. Bournemouth 2 Arsenal 1 Bellerin breaks the deadlock Wilson equalises Ibe puts the Cherries ahead

Match Summary

A competitive but less than thrilling first half saw both sides threaten without carving up many clear-cut chances, with Ainsley Maitland-Niles coming closest to a breakthrough with a shot against the woodwork early on.

The Gunners took the lead early in the second half when Alex Iwobi’s pass cut the Cherries defence in half to pick out the run of Hector Bellerin, whose shot found the net despite a touch from Asmir Begovic.

But the Cherries equalised with 20 minutes left to play when Callum Wilson was picked out by Ryan Fraser, and took the lead soon afterwards through Jordon Ibe.

Full Report

There were a couple of chances for either side in the opening exchanges, with Ainsley Maitland-Niles coming the closest in the eighth minute, hitting the crossbar after a cross from Alexandre Lacazette fell to him.

As the first half an hour wore on the Gunners began to see more and more of the ball, with Jack Wilshere in particular impressing in the middle of the park.

The Cherries who almost made the breakthrough in the 40th minute through Ryan Fraser after some great work by Jordon Ibe saw the ball fall to the Scot, but Calum Chambers came flying in to make the block. A minute later and Fraser had another chance, this one blazed just over the crossbar.

The breakthrough arrived not long after the restart through Hector Bellerin, but it was a killer through-ball from Alex Iwobi that opened the game up, picking out the Spaniard’s run, and his low drive towards the far corner goal crept in despite Asmir Begovic getting something on it.

The Cherries responded well to going behind and had the goal back in the 70th minute. Fraser, who was Bournemouth’s best player in the second half, did well to work some space on the right flank and sent in a delicious cross, bending towards the far post where Callum Wilson who was busting a gut to get into the box and apply the finish.

Bournemouth then had their second of the day soon afterwards when a long ball forward picked out Wilson in the Arsenal box. The centre-forward didn’t quite manage to control the ball, but he did enough for it to fall nicely to Ibe, who was arriving on the scene with pace to blast into the back of the net.

Arsene Wenger’s response to seeing his team go behind was to introduce Theo Walcott off the bench for Iwobi, in what could turn out to be the winger’s final game for the club amid interest in his services from Everton.

Article Tags:
Article Categories:

Share this post on social media

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: